The China Study - Complete References
1. Macilwain G. The General Nature and Treatment of Tumors. London, UK: John Churchill, 1845.
2. Williams H. The Ethics of Diet. A Catena of Authorities Deprecatory of the Practice of Flesh-Eating. London: F. Pitman, 1883.
4. Centers for Disease Control. "Prevalence of adults with no known risk factors for coronary heart disease-behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 1992." Morbidity and mortality weekly report 43 (February 4, 1994): 61–63,69.
5. Kaufman DW, Kelly JP, Rosenberg L, et al. "Recent patterns of medication use in the ambulatory adult population of the United States: the Slone survey." J. Am. Med. Assoc. 287 (2002): 337–344.
6. Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Ogden CL, et al. "Prevalence and trends in obesity among U.S.adults, 1999–2000." JAMA 288 (2002): 1723–1727.
7. American Heart Association. "High blood cholesterol and other lipidsâ€”statistics." March, 2004. Accessed at http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=2016
8. Wolz M, Cutler J, Roccella EJ, et al. "Statement from the National High Blood Pressure Education Program: prevalence of hypertension." Am. J. Hypertens. 13 (2000): 103–104.
9. Lucas JW, Schiller JS, and Benson V. "Summary health statistics for U.S. Adults: National Health Interview Survey, 2001." National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat. 10(218). 2004
10. Robbins J. The Food Revolution. Berkeley, California: Conari Press, 2001.
11. I strongly recommend reading John Robbins' "The Food Revolution," which convincingly details the connection between your diet and the environment.
12. World Health Organization. "The World Health Report 1997: Press Release. Human and social costs of chronic diseases will rise unless confronted now, WHO Director-General says." Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 1997. Accessed at www.who.int/whr2001/2001/archives/1997/presse.htm
13. Blood flow is related to the fourth power of the radius of the cross-section of the vessel. A surprisingly small increase in the opening of the artery makes a huge difference in the all important blood flow.
14. Vegetarian Resource Group. "How Many Vegetarians Are There?" March, 2004. Accessed at www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003issue3/vj2003issue3poll.htm
15. Herman-Cohen V. "Vegan revolution." Ithaca Journal (reprinted from LA Times) Aug 11, 2003:12A.
16. Sabate J, Duk A, and Lee CL. "Publication trends of vegetarian nutrition articles in biomedical literature, 1966–1995." Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 70(Suppl) (1999): 601S–607S.